No space? No worries Tops tips for maximising outdoor space
If there is not enough room to swing a cat in your new backyard, don’t worry. There are plenty of techniques to maximise the space you have.
Australians love the outdoors, and the backyard often becomes the focal point of many a home.
But, as many first home buyers may well know, sometimes it is not possible to buy a property on the world’s largest block of land.
So if you do happen to be blessed with a modest back yard you can still create a beautiful outdoor living space that is perfect for entertaining or relaxing with family and friends.
But if your idea of a functional outdoor space includes a poured concrete patio, plastic outdoor furniture and a simple charcoal grill – you’re selling yourself short.
• One of the most effective ways to connect your backyard to your home is to choose materials, textures and colours that complement or match your home design. Of course, if you are like me and can’t tell the difference between charcoal and black, then it is best to go with your gut instinct and work with the natural lighting.
• Use dim colours wherever your garden is light and light colours wherever your backyard is dim.
• Another way to achieve a beautiful outdoor living space is to add attractive objects like fountains or landscaping stones. A water feature can give you the ultimate finishing touch to your backyard blitz. They are already making a big splash across Australia – and the designs are only limited by your imagination.
• And with your water feature in place, it’s time to spruce up your compact space with vibrant plants and bushes. A raised garden bed will enable you to fit more plants into a smaller area. But, if your green thumb is looking decidedly pale, potted plants may be the way to go.
• But no Aussie backyard is complete without a BBQ. If you’re confident that you can lay a straight course of bricks – or better still have a mate in the trade – why not knock up your own char grill? Not only will this save you a good few hundred bucks, you’ll add character to your yard and create a feature that you’ll be proud of.
So what are you waiting for? Get landscaping and enjoy your own private ‘great outdoors’.