If you’ve been dreaming of ditching the rat race for a chilled coastal lifestyle it pays to do some research before you load the kids into the car and the body boards onto the roof racks.
Making the move to the coast is a big commitment – so you need to think very carefully about the lifestyle you want, the location you’ll live in, and of course, what it will all end up costing you.
1. To get started on your research why not try subscribing to a few local papers in areas you are interested in living in? This will help to give you a feel for the lifestyle of your potential new town, the age demographic, employment opportunities, weather, events and average property prices.
2. It might even give you a hint as to whether or not supermarket prices are affected by seasonal tourism – an important factor if you are thinking about calling a new town home.
3. You’ll also need to think about your finances to work out what type of property you can afford and whether or not you should sell your city pad or rent it out as an investment property?
4. Once you’ve been able to narrow your decision down and have a rough idea of what you’re looking for, contact a few of the local real estate agents and get them to help you with your research for your perfect coastal home.
5. To be sure that you’re happy with the location, costs and atmosphere, try renting in the area for a few months to complete your road test. Be sure to check out hospitals, schools, traffic conditions and even internet access to make sure that you get the sunny new start you deserve at a price you know you can afford.